Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rhubarb Redux

Remember the rhubarb that looked like this just a week or so ago?

It now looks like this:

The recent rain seems to have agreed with it, clearly. Every time I look out the kitchen window, it seems to have grown.

I wrote about rhubarb and my very favorite rhubarb recipe almost a year ago, and I will certainly be making my beloved rhubarb-ginger jam as my first rhubarb venture of the season. But, as you can see, there's a lot of rhubarb stalks on that plant (not to mention the two smaller plants on the edge of the yard, right next to the failed asparagus patch). So, I'm lining up rhubarb recipes that should keep me occupied for the rest of rhubarb season.

There's the rhubarb compote from Tea and Cookies, for one, which sounds like it would be fabulous with homemade yogurt.

Then there are a couple of recipes from Smitten Kitchen, a crumb cake with rhubarb and a strawberry-rhubarb crumble, both of which look lovely and delicious. The crumb cakes looks like a great thing for a brunch or an office thing, and anytime is the time for crumble.

Molly at Orangette also has a rhubarb crumble, and given that I'm obviously a sucker for crumble, I might have to try hers as well.

And if I'm feeling really ambitious, there's this rhubarb meringue tart, which is a much fancier dessert than I usually make, but Molly writes so evocatively about it that I'm tempted.

And given that rhubarb season is still in its early stages, at least here on the east coast, I've no doubt that there will be plenty more recipes to contemplate. It's a good thing my rhubarb plant is so massive.



2 comments:

Lisa said...

Just reading that post made my mouth pucker. I need some strawberry-rhubarb pie in my life ASAP.

Jennifer Fink said...

I love rhubarb! My kids and I are the only ones who eat it straight (no sugar, no nothing) down at the Green Market.

Ours isn't nearly as far along as yours (we're in WI), but I'm already thinking about rhubarb pie. I have a great rhubarb custard pie recipe.