Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sign of the Day

It's been a long day.

There was the extra early wakeup by a naughty little black cat who decided that rather than sleeping peacefully with his brother and me, he'd prefer to be on the shelf on top of my closet. Except he can't get there by himself, so I awoke to plaintive meows and the sight of the little cat standing on his hind legs on the chair where I dump my clothes, his claws firmly planted in the sleeves of my shirts hanging in the closet, as if he could scratch his way up to the shelf. (Since he is more docile and obedient than his willful brother, he was persuaded that he could live without being on the shelf for awhile, though the effort to convince him of this--via some well-aimed squirts of the spray bottle next to my bed--woke me up for good.)

And then there was the long morning meeting and the long late afternoon conversation about something I don't usually have long conversations about (supercomputers), which made me feel rather fuzzy in the head. (It's for a freelance project, not because I've developed a sudden interest.)

And then the gym, which defuzzed my brain and got me pleasantly tired.

And then a dinner consisting of leftovers from the lovely all-spring-all-the-time meal I shared with Alex and Lizzie last night, the highlights of which included the asparagus soup I wrote about on Monday, scallion-cheddar drop biscuits which I've made many times before but which are especially good with new green onions, and rhubarb cobbler with ginger frozen yogurt. The cobbler was going to be my subject for today, but it will have to wait til tomorrow which will hopefully not start quite as early.

So, all that's left is to say thanks again to Lisa being my guest blogger yesterday and to say that the link to my piece up at Like Fire--about Noel Streatfeild, Maud Hart Lovelace and why adults won't buy books they love if the cover is purple with swirly letters on it--is here, if you haven't wandered over there yet.

And here, for your viewing pleasure, is possibly my absolutely favorite sign in all of India, which is saying a lot since I've seen a lot of good signs over the years. (If only I'd taken a photo of "Don't Create Chaos--Stay in Your Own Lane!" all those years ago when I first saw it.) And without further ado, I present to you the photo which, in snapshot form, has lived on my refrigerator without cease since I took it in Goa in December 1999:


1 comment:

Babette said...

My sister goes to India every two years or so...I love the sign photos that come home with her from each trip.