Sunday, May 23, 2010

A few blogathon discoveries

On the one hand, I think it's fabulous that 110+ people are participating in the blogathon this year. On the other, it makes it much harder to visit all of the blogs. I've tried, to some extent, but it just got to be a bit too much, so I've decided to go for quality rather than quantity, and I've been reading a (much) smaller number of them almost every day. Here are a few of my favorite new discoveries:

Popcorn Homestead: Joan Lambert Bailey is an American living in Tokyo, and she writes often about her garden and the gardens/vegetables/assorted green things that she sees there. Some lovely photos, and as an added bonus, she's actually growing her own popcorn!

Two Hands and a Roadmap: The blog of Tara Phillips, a writer/mom in Cleveland. Mostly, I like this one because it is often very, very funny. I've probably giggled more at this than at any other blog I've read recently. Besides, how could I not like a blog where one of the categories of frequent posts is "Sometimes I swear too much."

Babette Feasts: I should have known about this one, as Barb Freda, the woman behind Babette, is a fellow member of Freelance Success. But I didn't--my loss. Barb writes about food and kitchen-related things in a no-nonsense and useful way, and she has some really nice looking recipes up to boot. I've already bookmarked this burnt sugar ice cream recipe for this summer's ice cream experiments.

Chez Sven: Wellfleet Today: I haven't spent too much time on Cape Cod, but this blog makes me want to. Written by Alexandra Grabbe, who runs a B and B in Wellfleet with her Swedish husband Sven, the blog has some lovely photos and notes on things of interest in their part of Cape Cod. Since their B and B is green, there's an environmental focus as well.

My Morning Chocolate: A blog by Jen Walker with the subtitle "Writing, Experiments, Culture and Adventures in Food." This is the blogathon blog I've discovered most recently, but already I'm looking forward to exploring it more. And already, there's a link to something called rhubarb-oatmeal bars that I'm planning to make as soon as possible. (I'd make them tonight, in fact, if I hadn't promised Alex and Lizzie that I'd make the blueberry breakfast bars.)

I feel rather lame listing only these few as favorites as there are others I've read and liked and many (many) others I haven't read but might also enjoy. But what's a person to do. One can only do so much while blogging every day, going to work, working on a freelance gig, and dealing with two gardens in the lovely May weather. So be it, and happy Sunday.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Thank you so much, Sue!

I know what you mean. It's really hard to keep up with all the great bloggers who've entered the blogathon. I hope to do a better job of it when the month is over, and everyone (including myself) is posting on a more manageable schedule again.

I really do swear too much.

Unknown said...

Smart! I'm getting overwhelmed visiting all the blogs myself and generally navigate to about a dozen or so. It's so very subjective, isn't it? You've listed my favorites.

Joan Lambert Bailey said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Sue! I'm so glad you enjoy the blog. I'll keep you posted on the popcorn, and the other adventures. I look forward to hearing more about your garden, too!

Jen said...

Sue, thanks so much for the mention! I apologize I'm responding so late, but I just discovered this post. Were you able to make the rhubarb oatmeal bars? The filling is so good; I could skip the oatmeal and be happy just eating it with a spoon!