Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Obits

I miss my friend Doris Abramson, of Common Reader fame, more often than you'd think, given that I usually didn't see her more than a few times a year. But I miss her most when I read an obituary I think she'd enjoy. This also happens more often than you'd think. Last week, it was this Independent obit of Molly Malone Cook, long time partner of the poet Mary Oliver. We went to hear Mary Oliver read at Smith last week, a reading packed with more than 2000 people in the biggest auditorium on campus, usually only packed for Ani DeFranco and the like. (Alex has a nice blog post about it up at his White Mountain blog.) Mary Oliver spoke of Molly and read a few excerpts from the book of Molly's photographs and Mary's prose, called Our World, that came out a few years ago. I was curious later, so I googled and found the obit. (Admittedly, it's possible that Doris saw this obit since it came out in 2005. I hope so.)

Today, there were two in the New York Times. I liked the one about the romance editor (who died at 56), but I especially liked Mimi Weddell, 94, "Actress and Hat Devotee." I think Doris would have liked it too, and I am sad all over again that she is not there to enjoy it along with me.

1 comment:

Debi Harbuck said...

Those are marvelous, Sue, and your friend was a treasure.